Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Dinner in a Box

I can't help but notice the increased crowdedness of stores around the Holiday season. This is to be expected as masses of consumers rush to complete their gift shopping, decoration shopping, and other holiday related shopping. Christmas has oddly become something of which shopping is a symbol and an indicator. With complete logic to back up the observance of increased customer volume in stores as a result of the Holidays, there are still some things that I do not quite understand. I was reminded of this during a recent shopping experience.

Today, I went to Walmart to buy frozen meals and ultimately prevent starving during finals week. What I experienced was mass hysteria in the frozen meal section of Walmart. What I don't understand is why this too is a product of which consumption is increased during the Holiday season. Ok, so it is understandable that the grocery store as a whole would have more shoppers to prepare for Holiday meals and visits from family. I don't know about you, but when I think of Christmas and family holiday meals, I typically do not picture sitting down to a frozen meal in a plastic tray which I prepared myself in the microwave. My inference from this is that consumers are just starting to attribute shopping of all sorts to the Christmas season. This is dangerous. Remember that one guy? Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment