Saturday, November 13, 2010

To Infinity, and Beyond!


My biggest hobby as a kid growing up was Lego's. My brother and I have over 200 Lego sets combined. I have really creative instincts, so Lego's were the perfect thing for me. I would build giant cities and ships and devote every inch of my bedroom floor to building new sets. I took a break from buying Lego sets for 3 or 4 years, until I was notified that Lego came out with a new theme for their sets: Toy Story. I immediately went to Lego.com and previewed all of their new Toy Story sets. I started drooling. The Toy Story trilogy are my favorite animated movies of all time. It was impossible for me to resist these new sets.

Every year for Christmas from about age 6 to 16, I asked for anywhere from 3 to 6 Lego sets. My mom asked for a few Christmas ideas for me, and I couldn't help but to put a Toy Story Lego set on my list. Lego made sets from each of the three movies. It was impossible for me to decide on just one set, so I ended up putting four sets on my Christmas list. The decision was rather high effort because of several aspects. First, I narrowed down the sets to put on my list through noncompensatory decision making. I eliminated all sets that I figured to be overpriced for their value, then I eliminated the remaining sets that were unappealing to me.

The remaining Lego sets went through a compensatory decision making process. I read consumer reviews on all the sets, and analyzed the cost-to-benefit ratio of each set. I had very high motivation, ability, and opportunity for the decision. Finally, after much thought, I narrowed it down to four quality Toy Story Lego sets to put on my list. I was very satisfied with my decision, and I can't wait to see which, if not all, of the sets I get for Christmas. Hopefully I was a good boy this year.

2 comments:

  1. bro I’m totally agree. i remember when I was little, I was a HUGE legos fan. Personal favorite?? definitelly the ninja collection. Everybody knows ninjas instantly make you cooler. I didnt know they made Toy Story legos though, thats pretty cool. In many ways i feel like legos are an addiction for little kids...you just can’t help yourself.

    So when you get the legos at first, do you put them together perfectly they way the instructions follow or do you modify them and follow your creative side? Iv heard that Legos started in Germany because their culture is very industry and construction driven. In America we are more creative and want to discover something knew by making constant improvements to what we already have. Do you think Legos will still be around when our kids are roaming the malls looking for Christmas gifts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My comments on this post do not necessarily tackle the Lego aspect, rather, the fascination with Toy Story. I must say I was absolutely amazed by the tremendous attention that the 2010 release of Toy Story 3D received by American and other consumers around the world. I, for one, have never really been a huge fan of the series. However, I have learned to develop an appreciation for the film series. Part of my appreciation is the way in which the film holds mood altering properties and evokes feelings of being a kid again, with not a care in the world!
    I sense the same kind of feelings were evoked when you learned of the news that Toy Story Legos were being produced. I do hope you get a set for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete