Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Who Let the Dogs Out??

Two summers ago my then girlfriend, now fiancé, and I bought a puppy. Her name is Bella and she is a half Yorkie, half Shitzu mix…we think. Belle was found on PetFinder.com’s web site. People post pets wanted for adoption from numerous pet adoption agencies. We searched many different breeds – how hyper they were, how much they shed, life expectancy, size, you name it. It was very High-Effort on our part because she is a part of our lives now (Kata, my fiancé, calls her our baby if that tells you anything). We almost bought a different one; a rat terrior named Toby. At the last minute the adoption agency gave Toby to a different family, and Kata was devastated until we found Bella. I don’t think we could have found a better dog to add to our family.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean when you say a dog is a huge member of the family. My family went through a very long research process when trying to find where to get a dog. After much thought, we bought our first dog from a Wheelchair Dog-Training Company. The dog was very expensive, but well worth it because he was a very well-behaved breed, and came from a great family. Buying a dog should definitely be a high-effort decision, because they will become a vital piece of the family. A low-effort decision on a dog could cause much regret and stress on the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to the high-effort level of this type of decision. As I just recently found out there are many items to research before purchasing a pet. I am currently on the waiting list for a pet hedgehog. We researched a variety of information including diet, activity level, sleeping habits, likes and dislikes, where they like to live, and the health of hedgehogs. Our babies were born today so we should be proud parents by Christmas. I hope to have the same reaction to my new pet as your fiancé had to your new addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete