Thursday, November 4, 2010

Finger Lickin' Good


Consumers return to restaurants mostly because they enjoy the taste of the food the restaurant has to offer. However, the experience the customer has with the employees of the restaurant can also be the deciding factor as to whether or not the customer returns. Stereotypical employees at fast food restaurants are non-relational, monotone, and always seem to be in a rush. My friend and I have experienced situations far from this during our visits to KFC on Scatterfield Road.
The man at the register greeted us with a big smile and started to speak small talk with us as we were deciding what to order. He was very patient with us as we looked at the menu board for a good five minutes before ordering. I ordered several things off the value menu and my friend ordered a meal that included popcorn chicken. The employee notified us that no popcorn chicken was currently being cooked, and there would be a three minute wait. We were starving but my friend was willing to wait for his meal. My friend paid with a debit card that wasn't able to "swipe". The numbers on the card had to be manually punched into the computer for the card to be accepted. The man at the register did this without any hesitation or complaining, and we were very impressed.
After one or two minutes of waiting for our meals, the manager of KFC came up to the counter and offered my friend a free large drink because he felt bad for making us wait. My friend denied the offer, but the manager refused to accept defeat. He followed that offer up by offering my friend two free biscuits. Again, my friend denied the offer. Finally, the manager went to the fridge and came back with a luscious slice of Reese's pie. My friend's eyes got huge and gave in to the pie.
Even though my friend and I are passive complainers, and showed no sign of dissatisfaction with the service, the manager of KFC went beyond the call of duty to make us happy and satisfied with our experience at his restaurant. He took very quick action and was very relational. My friend and I left the store very satisfied. The food was delicious, and we ended up coming back three days later.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am impressed. I have to agree that I am definitely one of those people that gives in to the same stereotype about fast food workers. I tend to think they are all grumpy, impatient, and non-relational. It's good to hear that your experience was not that way. It’s also refreshing to know that there is good customer service, at a place you wouldn’t always expect it, even when you do not complain. If more fast food restaurants treated their customers this way, we would all be more happy customers and would forget the stereotype that many of us have.

    ReplyDelete