Sunday, October 31, 2010

Merchandising

The first time I had experience with merchandising (which I didn't even realize) was when I worked at Target in high school. When we had training we were told how to place the merchandise and how it had to be pushed the front of the shelf. This created the appearance that the shelf was full, even there were just a few items. Which sparks the thought "What else do retail stores do that we are not aware of?" The retail industry puts billions of dollars into to packaging and how to make an item look more appealing. It kinda makes me think twice when I'm buying a product. Okay is this appearance of the item or the actual item?

I flew to Chicago at the end of the summer and I sat next to a man that was the CEO of a huge merchandising company. After the plane ride I was pretty excited after talking to and the fact that I was offered a job in Indianapolis. But after the shock wore off I thought about what I would be doing. I would be doing what I was bothered by, creating an environment where people buy more. Gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment