Monday, October 25, 2010

Wedding Dress Shopping

This coming summer I will be getting married! I was extremely excited to start the process of finding a wedding dress so I made an appointment with Daivd’s Bridal. Before the appointment, I started my information search. I looked through their website, picked out dresses that I liked, and created a wish list of dresses that I wanted to try on. Once I got to my appointment, my consultant would be able to pull up my list and pick out the dresses for me to try on. The only ones I considered were dresses that fit into my budget I had set. I knew that if I tried on a dress above my budget, I would probably end up loving it and wanting to buy it anyways. I started to make a judgment between these two attributes. If it is more expensive, it will probably be a nicer dress. If it is less expensive, it will probably be dull and boring.

Finally, the day came for my appointment. In order to not be tempted to spend too much money, I would look at the price tag before even trying a dress on. If it was above my budget, I wouldn’t even look at it. I began trying on the dresses that I had picked out and started to figure out what styles looked good on me. Once I had found the style I liked best, my consultant began bringing me dresses that I might also like. The first one I tried on was amazing. After staring in the mirror a bit and getting the onlookers approval, I decided to look at the price tag. Of course, it was over my budget. I was right, I thought. It was my favorite dress so far, but it was too expensive.

Nonetheless, I tried several other dresses on that I loved as well that were in my budget. There was nothing dull or boring about them. I began to realize that I can still find a beautiful dress even if it is less expensive. I had created an illusory correlation between the two attributes.

I never bought a dress that day but was happy to have a better idea of the kind of dress I would like to buy. Upon looking further into their website and catalog, I have found dresses that are the style I like and in my budget that I will hopefully be able to try on when I return to the store. Hopefully, on my next trip I will be able to find the “one”. Until then, I’ll have to remember that a higher price tag doesn’t always mean its better.

No comments:

Post a Comment