Thursday, September 30, 2010

If it is not Lays then I don't want it.

It was my birthday and like most people you think that you would be getting everything you want (within a reasonable limit) on your own day. On my special day all I wanted was a small get together and enjoy the evening with my friends. Before my guest were to arrive my roommate and friend went out to by drinks and snacks and a movie to watch.
While they were out I played host greeting guest at my apartment and waiting on their return so we could start the movie. When my friends finally did arrive they had brought everything that we needed cake, drinks, cups ect; except... that they brought Diritos chips. I cant stand Diritos. So I simply told them that had got the wrong snack and I refused to eat them. Now any other day it would have been not much of an issue but because it was supposed to be my day my friends insisted that we go out to return the Diritos and buy Lays chips.
With a team of four including myself and the two who had bought the Diritos, we returned to the dollar store that they had bought the chips. what made the trip short was that the store they chose was less than 5 minutes away. we went inside and had no trouble returning the Diritos. Yet the problem was that when we searched for Lays chips was that the store only had the very small bags. So what do we do? We decide that will travel all the way down to Wal-Mart, the only place we know we are guaranteed to find the chips in the size bag we needed.
Long story short was that just for a snack we traveled a half hour away from home with guest waiting for us at home just so that I, the birthday boy could have his favorite snack.
Personally I will not buy any other brand of chips and even know that one brand makes me sick if I ever eat it. In all honestly I remember that my friends thought it was silly that I was so dead set on a brand of potato chip. Yet these were people who would buy only a certain drink or only want to eat at Wendy's fast food. It is funny that to other people our brand loyalty seems absurd to almost every one on the outside yet we ourselves not only think that what we are loyal to ourselves is the best product in existence but think that others are as well.

2 comments:

  1. How can you not like Doritos? Odd... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it rather amusing that not only did you return the bag of Doritos, you would not purchase the smaller bags of Lays found at the Dollar Store, and instead, had to make a trip to Wal-Mart to purchase a larger bag. Talk about brand loyalty! I distinctly recall how, this past weekend when we had people over at our house, one of my friends brought snacks and funny enough, one of the bags was Doritos! The expression on your face was priceless. It was a good thing he brought Tostitos with him as well...but I am left to wonder what would have been if it had been all Doritos?

    ReplyDelete