Friday, October 1, 2010

World Obsession


This past weekend I ventured back home to Columbus, Ohio for my sister's baby shower. I make it a priority every time I am home to stop by my favorite store of all time, World Market. Many people have never heard of this store, but I promise you girls, you will love it. They sell everything. Browsing the store you will find unique and inexpensive jewelry, artwork, furniture, cookware, clothing, bathroom accessories, and even food.

Originally I had entered the store with the intention of buying two, and only two, scarfs. However, after being there for more than 10 minutes, I quickly filled my basket with many other World Market goods.

Most of these goods ended up being food. Now, I have never purchased food from World Market before mainly because food there is rather expensive compared to Kroger or Meijer. However, after looking at the packaging I quickly decided to sacrifice a few extra dollars and make the purchase.

The three items I bought were a jar of Chocolate/Banana Spread from Holland, a box of Gorgonzola filled ravioli, and a jar of vodka pasta sauce both imported from Italy.

I honestly do not think that I would have ever spent such a large amount of money if I had been in any other store or market. You can call me a brand loyal customer when it comes to World Market.

I also made the inference that since all the items were imported from two different countries that they would be much better (higher quality) than most foods available at ordinary grocery stores. Which is a bit humorous considering this past week in class we discussed how we tend to stereotype foods based on country of origin.

I haven't tried the ravioli or pasta sauce yet, but I can definitely say the chocolate/banana spread is absolutely delicious. However, even though the food has been delicious, I doubt I will be buying food from World Market anytime soon. I don't think my bank account could handle it.

1 comment:

  1. Ironically, I found myself entering World Market in Columbus, OH for the FIRST time this exact same weekend. I was on a shopping trip with my mom for Fall Break. We were shopping mainly in clothing stores, but did wind up in World Market. We both had never heard of World Market so we wanted to stop in and see what it was all about. We found ourselves questioning entering as we saw customers walking out with what appeared to be groceries. We were not exactly searching for groceries four hours from home. Thankfully though, we still ventured into this one-of-a-kind store. I must admit that now after purchasing my first 2 scarves, bracelets, and a unique drink from a country abroad from World Market, I will always make a trip back when I am in Columbus. I may too, in the future be a brand loyal customer to the unique products of World Market.

    ReplyDelete