Thursday, September 30, 2010

My Battle With Five Dollar Movies

My battle with Walmart’s five dollar movies started last summer. I had just graduated and bought most of the things I needed for college, so I had a little of my graduation money left over for whatever else. I went to several different places looking for random things that I wanted just for fun, and then I discovered the wonder that is the five dollar movie. There were so many to choose from, and I never realized that there could be so many cheap movies that I felt the need to have. Since then, my movie collection has grown dramatically.

I’m the kind of person who likes to have plenty of options. I always pick a movie depending on the mood I’m in, so I feel like I need to have a little bit of everything just in case. Also, I can never seem to buy just one movie at a time. I’m good at convincing myself that, since it’s only five dollars, I can buy a bunch of them at once. For example, I’ve already bought three in the last four or five days. I think that offering discounted movies is a really good marketing strategy. Since the movies are so cheap, people will be more apt to buy several at a time. Then, there will be people like me who keep coming back and buying more and, in the long run, will have bought more movies and maybe even spent more than they would have if they were all at regular price. Since the five dollar movies are obviously so much cheaper than regular priced ones, it seems like a better deal to buy four five dollar movies for twenty dollars, rather than just getting only one for the same price.

To be honest, I’m not always totally happy with the movies I choose to buy. There have been several occasions where I’ve regretted buying certain ones. I’m an impulsive buyer, so when I have the desire to buy something, I tend to not think of the consequences and I just go for it. I’ll think it’s a really good idea for the amount of time it takes to get through the checkout, and then by the time I get home or have watched the movie once, I come to find out that it wasn’t worth what I paid. I don’t consider buying a five dollar movie or two to involve much risk, so I’ll probably continue buying them as long as they’re available.

No comments:

Post a Comment