Friday, October 1, 2010

Self Help Books


When I think of my purchasing habits, I can name two things I tend to buy a lot of, DVDs and self help books. I have recently started a collection of DVDs and it is definitely tempting when I go to Walmart and pass through the $5 DVD section. Although the DVDs are a typical purchase for me, I would like to focus on another typical purchase that I make. Since I transferred here to AU last year, I have generated a liking for self help books. I am really attracted to these books because they provide a better sense of overall wellness for myself, not to mention to the knowledge I receive from all sorts of subjects. I can't help but pick out a new book when I go into a bookstore. For instance, the University bookstore here has a great selection, especially when it comes to self help in terms of spiritual aspects. So the first week of school the bookstore had a sale going, if you buy three books you get a sale priced book for free. The sale was appealing to me, I had a want to buy a book, so I took advantage of buying three books and getting one free. I would say I have bought about thirty books within the last year. I have read about ten of them so far, and have intentions to buy more. I don't know why I keep purchasing more to read when I still have books sitting on my shelf that I have not read yet. Overall when I look at this, I don't think I am influenced by a particular person, I feel that I am influenced by my "want" to have a broad range of knowledge on self help topics. I honestly feel that over the years I will develop a pretty extensive collection of books and I sure don't plan to stop purchasing them now. The book in the upper right hand corner is the book I am currently reading. It is called Walking with God by John Eldredge.

No comments:

Post a Comment