Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Unexpected yet Successful

Here it is, the fourth week of the semester. This is a time in the semester when exams begin to jump out of nowhere and papers are beginning to come due. It is a time when a college student's textbooks and computer become his or her best friends. I, like most other students, was planning on using this week to study, study, and study more for my upcoming exams and begin writing my first paper of the semester. All was going well until suddenly, my computer decided to no longer charge correctly. Even though my computer was plugged in to my charger, the power bar was not increasing. It was at this time when I recognized a serious problem. My notes and the beginning of my paper would soon no longer be accessible. I, needlessly to say, quickly printed all necessary papers and began the 5-step decision making process.

In an instant, my plans for the next few hours changed; I needed to start searching for this new purchase. Recognizing the need for a new computer charger I had to start searching for information. My evoked set reminded me that I could purchase a charger from Best Buy (where I purchased my laptop). I also researched some prices online of chargers. I found a few chargers on Amazon.com. Evaluating my choices I realized I did not have the time to go to the nearest Best Buy, either in Noblesville or Muncie. I also found Best Buy's chargers to be overpriced in comparison to the prices on Amazon. I was, of course, relatively leery of purchasing a computer charger (did I mention I am not technologically savvy?) online without previous experience.

Throughout this entire process, I knew my time was limited with the approaching assignments. I had to decide quickly and shorten the information search and judgment processes. I decided to choose a dealer on Amazon who had a 30-day return policy and a four star rating with a much lower price than a charger at Best Buy. With my lack of experience purchasing online I was nervous to see the result of my choice. However, three days later my charger promptly arrived in the mail. The charger is currently performing to my expectations. Even though this post-decision evaluation could be long-term to see the life-span of this charger, currently I am satisfied with my decision. Saving $40 for a relatively similar product is always a success in my eyes, or at least for this discussion.

1 comment:

  1. High level of perceived risk...but your educated decision-making skills paid off.

    ReplyDelete