Monday, October 31, 2011

Arrid Deodorant Struggles to Match-up


Recently I was watching television when a commercial for Arrid Deodorant came on. Normally I would tune right out or flip the channel since I never have used this product. It is definitely in my inept set when it comes to anti-persperants. Now when the commercial came on it was Mariano Rivera, a closer for the New York Yankees. I'm a huge baseball fan so naturally my attention returns to the ad. In the ad a narrator begins to give a quick bio on Mariano since he is not in his Yankee uniform, but instead a generic unmarked uniform and hat. The narrator explains how he is the all time saves leader in baseball which implies that he is in stressful situations where their product would work great. Here is where I struggled with the ad, as I stated earlier I do not consider Arrid deodorant to be name brand or top of the line, no offense to those who do. As a consumer I did not believe this ad for a second because of the person delivering the message. I was experiencing match-up hypothesis, which means for this ad I did not believe that the source of the message was appropriate for the product that was being advertised. Also, the commercial just seemed cheap and underfunded which I think helped contribute to my prior judgements about this product.

I also believe this triggered a source derogation towards Mariano Rivera (Thoughts that discount or attack the source of the message); this is apart of the cognitive response to communication. During the entire commercial I was saying to myself "there is no way Mariano Rivera uses Arrid". Had this ad been directed more at me there are some things that Arrid could have done in order to get my interest. First off I have a belief discrepancy towards this ad, Arrid paid money to get an all-star pitcher to advertise their product, they should also have purchased the rights to use the Yankee's logo which immediately makes this commercial seem more relevant to me. Also, allow him to explain why he likes the product so much not just it keeps me cool under pressure. There are many alternate ways to portray Mariano's use of this product to catch my and many other viewers attention. Doing these little things may be a good way to sway my judgement and attitude towards this brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment