Monday, October 31, 2011

Cookie Conundrum

This past summer I was introduced to a fantastic new way to eat an Oreo, cold. One day my roommate was setting watching TV and eating Oreo’s. Like many cookie lovers, I couldn’t turn it down when I was offered one. After taking a bite I knew there was something different, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. He informed me that he likes to store his Oreo’s in the refrigerator and eat them cold. I decided that I had to capitalize on this new found wonder and quickly went to the store and bought my own Oreo’s. It wasn’t long before package one was gone and it was back to the store for more. However, being a poor college student, I decided it was time to change it up a bit.

While standing at the grocery store I realized that there are many different brands of Oreo like cookies. For many of us the prototype for a cream filled chocolate cookie is Oreo, however, there are many different off brands on the shelf. Since I was at Payless grocery store, I decided to pick up their brand of cookie, Kiddos. (Buyers note: regular stuffed and double stuffed are almost always the same price. It doesn’t matter what brand. I still have yet to determine why this is, or furthermore, why anyone would buy only regular stuffed when you can get double for the same price.) After my purchase I returned to my apartment and placed the cookies in the fridge to chill. After a long day at work the next day I returned to my apartment and quickly grabbed a handful of cookies. After one bite I realized I had made a mistake. Cold Kiddos do not taste nearly as good as cold Oreo’s. Thinking it might just be my taste buds, I asked my roommate for confirmation. Sadly, the terrible fate of the not so good cold cookie was confirmed. Buyer’s remorse began to sink in as I wished I would have paid the extra dollar for the Oreo brand cookie. Eventually I finished the container of lackluster Kiddos and learned a valuable lesson; sometimes it’s better to pay just a bit more. (Writers note: I also took a chance on Wal-Mart brand Oreo like cookies. They get the approval of a good cold cookie.)

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand why more people have not learned this lesson. I was trying to explain to my roomate recently why I will mostly always by brand name products instead of the money-saving alternatives. It is a practice I learned growing up. I would always see the same brands at my house and my grandmother would refuse to buy the generic products even though we were by no means upper class. She wanted me to have the best even if it meant sacrificing a little extra money. My roomate, however, sees no reason to buy a brand name when something else is cheaper.

    ReplyDelete