Monday, October 31, 2011

ice cream letdown

The other day my mom and siblings came for the afternoon to visit. My little sister insisted we go to some candy shop downtown that she had been to on a field trip. We go and buy some candy and then head next door to the attached ice cream shop. My mom asked what the "witches brew" special was and the cashier said "pumpkin pie fudge..something"..whatever it was, it sounded delicious. I had previously had the Dairy queen pumpkin pie blizzard several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I figured this one would not only taste the same but inconceivably better because of the great name tagged to it. I order it with a small cone, anxiously await for it's delivery, I take it and sit down with my siblings, take one bite and.. it was absolutely disgusting. My mom and I both look at each other optimistically and say, "yeah..it's pretty good". Another minute later we both throw them down in utter disappointment. I'm no food/ ice cream expert but this stuff had way too much cinnamon or some sort of spice because it was very spicy. So there I was, watching my genius 4 year old sister lick her choice of birthday cake ice cream and my brother with his peanut butter brownie. Not the first time they made a better decision than me. So the problem here was the preconceived notion that the product I was purchasing would be to my liking because of a comparison I made to a similar product. Lesson learned, always get a sample first.

1 comment:

  1. Pat, I have thoroughly enjoyed the pumpkin pie blizzard at Dairy Queen myself and have been disappointed with other pumpkin diary treats. Food is a lot of the time hit and miss along with other consumer goods, that is way brand loyalty plays a huge role in what is consumed. People have a biased and prefer Pepsi over Coke and Jay's Chips over Lay's and say they taste completely different and to others the soft drinks and chips taste exactly the same. Brand loyalty is a leading factor when consumer goods are being purchased.

    ReplyDelete