Thursday, December 9, 2010

First College Purchase

Well Jon Maxwell's post reminded of something that I talked to my younger sister about over Thanksgiving break. My sister is a senior in high school and she has been looking at buying a laptop computer. For most people I would suggest a Macbook (the main reason is because I love Apple) because Apple products tend to be a better choice. Although for people who do not know about specifications like memory or hard drive, probably do not need to spend a lot on a computer. Since Apple are more expensive than PCs I suggested to get a middle of the road PC. For someone like my sister a computer with decent RAM, hard drive, and other built in features is a good choice. She was hesitant about buying a Macbook because it is almost double the cost of PCs. I told her that people buy Macbooks because of the quality and it is said that most viruses do not affect Apple computers.

She will use her computer for general internet use, word processing, and photo and music storage. Essentially she need a smart phone, which is fine. I think it is a good choice in her case to get something besides an Apple, but I would not be opposed if she bought an Apple. I just do not think it is necessary for her needs.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you, I would recommend a mac computer to anyone. I was at work over the weekend and one of my coworkers said that there son was thinking about getting a mac, and I told him that they are great computers, and that many people think there is so much to learn because a mac is different, but its really not. It helps that you don't have to buy virus protection for it. I bought my mac because of the field of study that I am in-graphic design. After I got my mac I will still use a pc every once and awhile and it is interesting that because of my mac I know more quick keys that I use on the pc, which if you are in a hurry it helps.

    ReplyDelete