Saturday, December 11, 2010

I love my father but....

My computer was purchased in 2007 by my father and myself. I told him that I really only had two requirements, for it to be small and to have a lot of memory. I ended up with a 17inch lab top that is bigger than my upper-half. My dad is known in our family as the cheap one, the one who will get talked into buying something of much less quality multiple times because it is less expensive. It is frustrating at times, because our family ends up having to replace items that if we would have just bought something more expensive the first time we wouldn’t have had to replace it numerous times. So once we were in the computer store and they offered my father the largest screened computer there is, but added a printer and a router for free! He was sold and there was no turning back. My laptop has served me well for the most part. However it has served more as a desktop computer, it is too big to fit into any computer bags and is too heavy to carry anywhere. At the time wifi was just becoming a big deal and so my router served no purpose at home or once I got to AU, because they were still installing the wifi. My printer was nice at first at school, until it ran out of ink, and as a freshman with an on-campus job I didn’t have the money to buy the at that time expensive ink refills. I love my dad, but he is easily swayed by price. This same price issues applies for him on more high risk purchases as well. We have always bough used cars, which I have no problem with. My problem lies when he insists that the best deals are downtown Detroit and buys really cheap cars there. Than like what has happened most recently, the car breaks down a week after we get it home, and the “car dealer” doesn’t have to take responsibility for the whole ordeal and we end up driving 40 minutes to Detroit two times a week for a couple weeks and still end up with a broken car and spending a couple thousand dollars in repair. The point im trying to make here is that my father’s behavior has saved us a lot of money in many circumstances, but also caused a lot of drama and problems in other areas. I love my dad very much; it would be nice if price was not always his deciding factor though.

1 comment:

  1. My dad occasionally falls for the same sort of traps! They can get you with those package deals; trick you into thinking you are getting more than you really are

    ReplyDelete