Thursday, December 9, 2010

Social Influences



After our class lecture over Chapter 16, I realized my Christmas list says a lot about me. I looked over my list and realized that a few of my wish list items were based on social influences. I have magazine subscriptions (I know real exciting, right?) on my list that I really want. These subscriptions can be related to an aspirational reference group. The subscriptions are to magazines related to my future career – the person I aspire to be. I also asked for items that my peers have currently. I asked for a new hair straightener. One of my roommates expressed how much she likes her hair straightener, and for this reason, I asked for the same brand. My peers also influenced me with the books I asked for as well as the new boots I hope to receive. Even though I do not enjoy writing out a Christmas list for family members, I found this year’s list to be a useful tool. The list helped me realize that the items I consume are closely related to my social influences and reference groups.

(Picture courtesy of: Google Images)

No comments:

Post a Comment