Friday, December 10, 2010

Ram

My parents' computer had tons of viruses on it. My dad finally gave up on finding fixes online since it was getting progressively worse. Fortunately my roomate Dave is pretty much a computer guru. I brought the computer back with me to AU for Dave to work on. It turned out that the partition for windows XP was corrupted so it needed to be completely wiped and the operating system reinstalled, but since XP is outdated and Dave could not get a copy easily, we decided (with my parents' permission) to upgrade the operating system to Windows 7. This required upgrading the Ram on the computer. While I am generally good at fixing lots of random things, (mostly mechanical) I'm not all that great with computers and technology related things. When Dave tells me how to do something, he usually has to come over and help me through the process because I usually can't find what I'm supposed to click on, or know what the message means that just popped up etc. So, since computers are not at all my area of expertise, I let my roomate make the decisions on how much, and what brand to get. We ended up getting a 2gig kit from Crucial. Dave showed me how to install it which was easy. The computer is now fixed and running like a new computer. I think my parents will be happy with it. Sometimes, when we need to make a purchase, the advice of an expert (in my case my awesome roomate) can prove extremely valuable.

1 comment:

  1. Install some virus protection on that man before it happens again!! AVG Free works well with Windows 7, it's what I use. Either that or buy a Mac :)

    ReplyDelete